1. They do what they say on the box.
2. Provide exceptional support and ball control
3. They are incredibly comfy
4. Provide a clean line free look under tight fitting clothes
5. Reduce the risk of testicular trauma
6. Avoid uncomfortable and unintended 'wedgies' common with traditional briefs
7. Are much cooler during warm weather and thus may reduce bacterial or yeast infections in the groin area
8. Smaller to pack away when travelling, easier to wash and quicker to dry.
9. Generally cheaper, because there is less to them
10. Increase sense of autonomy knowing you are wearing something because you choose to and despite others beliefs and values.
For a long time, thongs have been seen as the preserve of women and any man wearing them was seen as feminine, particularly in the UK. But top designers and manufacturers are producing more and more thongs designed for men and they are seeing sales increase.
It is hard to say whether this represents a change in social attitudes, or simply a change in fashion, but most likely it is a combination of the two.
In the hit film 'Borat' the lead character of the same name wears what is known as a 'mankini' which is somewhere between a woman's swimsuit and a man's thong. While this movie was a spoof and it was intended as a joke, it has certainly raised awareness of male thong wearing.