The additional work performed by women (employed mothers) is sometimes called?


2 Answers

Tony Fyler Profile
Tony Fyler answered
It is difficult to give a concise answer to this question since it is impossible to discern what is additional to what? Is the work of motherhood the 'additional' factor here, or the work for which those mothers are employed? Indeed, the question appears to infer that one type of work - motherhood or employed work - is superior to the other (though it does not infer which is which). This is an erroneous starting point, as many women feel compelled to succeed in either one arena or the other, and many more feel inclined to succeed in both equally.

If the work that comes with being a mother is defined as 'additional', it is known as many things by many different groups:

  • Motherhood, or parenthood
  • 'Traditional' work
  • Housework
  • Family empowerment
  • And even, in some less progressive corners, 'a woman's place'.
If the work for which a woman has previously been employed, and goes on to be employed after she becomes a mother, is deemed to be the 'additional' element here, then it likewise has a number of definitions, depending on the source of the viewpoint.

  • A career
  • Workplace equality (something of a misnomer until or unless the same societal expectation of childcare is placed on men as has historically been placed on women)
  • Female empowerment
  • Socio-economic independence
Those women who are determined to succeed in both arenas simultaneously are generally referred to as Superwomen, or Powerwomen, mainly in recognition of the superlative time-management skills such a juggling act requires in the modern era, rather than as a comment on the nature of their many roles.
Amanda Wells Profile
Amanda Wells answered
This seems to be a multiple choice question, so it is not complete as it appears here. If you would like to send your question again giving all the four options, someone may be able to give you an answer. However, there is more than one term for this kind of work, so it may be better to consult your course tutor to see which term is being used in your course material.

Answer Question