You want to write something personal, that shows you know her well and expresses how you feel about her - the generic "Happy Birthday" just won't do! Choosing the Card
- Look for a card that shows you've put effort in. If you've got an in-joke, or a shared love of something, use that.
- Does she have a favorite artist? See if you can find a card with their work on the front.
- Personalize a card online - there are plenty of sites that allow you to upload photographs, add text and essentially create anything you want
- If you're good at art, make her a card yourself. I'm not talking a folded sheet of A4 paper here - if you're going down this route, do it properly, with materials from craft-shops.
- Don't rely on the text inside the card - write something in it yourself! It shows you've made an effort.
- Tell her how you feel about her
- Do the obvious and wish her a happy birthday, but try and word it a bit more creatively than that!
- If you've bought her movie, theatre or concert tickets, tuck them inside the card.
- Write something that will make her want to keep the card - something that makes her feel special.